Monday, November 23, 2009

Texas One Dish

From my Saving Dinner cookbook.

1 pound ground beef
2 onions, chopped (I only used about 1/2 of an onion)
1 bell pepper, chopped (I had some yellow and orange chopped in the freezer that I used)
1 cup oats
1 can diced tomatoes, with juice
1/2 cup brown rice (I used white rice this time)
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. salt
Pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a large skillet, saute beef and onions over medium-high heat. When onions begin to look translucent, add bell pepper. Continue cooking until beef it browned completely. Drain grease well (to reduce fat grams, you can also blot with paper towels). Add oats, stirring well to incorporate.
Add remaining ingredients, stirring well to completely mix. Transfer to a 2-quart baking dish. Bake for 45 minutes or until rice is tender.
I've used brown rice in the past and it was slightly crunchy, so I figured I needed to bake it a little longer or add a little more liquid. This time I used white rice, cooked it only 45 minutes, but it was almost burnt around the edges. I also added about 1/2 cup water. The rice was cooked this time.

1 comment:

  1. FYI - Leanne Ely posted corrections to the SavingDinner cookbook to indicate this dish should be COVERED to fully cook the rice! Jut thought I'd pass that along. I was searching for reviews on the Texas One Dish from the cookbook and found your site. :)kristi/houston

    (see http://savingdinner.com/leannes-books/saving-dinner-shopping-lists/saving-dinner-book-corrections/)

    ReplyDelete