Monday, September 10, 2012

Stovetop Granola

I adapted this recipe from allrecipes.com, taking some of the suggestions in the comments to cut down on the butter and brown sugar used.


  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 cups rolled oats
  • 1/3 cup butter (I used 2 T. butter)
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 1/3 cup packed brown sugar (I used 2 T. butter)
  • 1/2 cup chopped almonds (I had sliced almonds that I used)
  • 1/3 cup dried cranberries (I didn't have cranberries on hand this time)
  1. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oats then cook and stir until starting to brown and crisp, about 5 minutes. (I also added about 1/3 cup of coconut with the oats.) Remove from heat and spread out on a cookie sheet to cool.
  2. Melt the butter in the same pan over medium heat. Stir in the honey and brown sugar; cook, stirring constantly, until bubbly. Return the oats to the pan. Cook and stir for another 5 minutes or so. Pour out onto the cookie sheet and spread to cool.
  3. Once cool, transfer to an airtight container and stir in the almonds and dried cranberries. Any additional nuts and fruit can be stirred in at this time also. 
After I cooked it on the stove top and poured it on the cookie sheet, I baked it in a 275 degree oven for 10 minutes, then left it in the oven an additional 10 minutes with the oven door open.  It ended up nice and crispy instead of being chewy.

No comments:

Post a Comment