- 6 cups thinly sliced pickling cucumbers (about 2 pounds)
- 2 cups thinly sliced onion
- 1 1/2 cups white vinegar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds (instead of these spices, I used 2 tsp. of pickling spice)
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced (I don't use garlic in my refrigerator pickles)
- Place 3 cups cucumber in a medium glass bowl; top with 1 cup onion. Repeat procedure with the remaining 3 cups cucumber and remaining 1 cup onion.
- Combine vinegar and remaining ingredients in a small saucepan; stir well. Bring to a boil; cook 1 minute. Pour over cucumber mixture; let cool. Cover and chill at least 4 days.
Packed in a jar
I usually put these in jars instead of a bowl. Depending on how tightly I pack the cucumbers, I sometimes need to make more vinegar/sugar mixture.
With vinegar and spices