Monday, January 17, 2011

Mexican Chicken Casserole

I got this recipe from All You magazine, the February 18, 2011 issue. I made 1 1/2 batches of the recipe to make enough for my family of 6.

12 oz. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces (I used a 20 oz. package)
1 tsp. taco seasoning
1 red or green bell pepper, seeded and chopped (I used red and green from the freezer)
1 1/2 cups prepared salsa
2 oz. cream cheese
1 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed (I left these out this time as I didn't have any on hand)
1 tomato, chopped (I also left this out)
2 6-inch whole-wheat tortillas
1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese (I used cheddar)

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Warm a large nonstick skillet over medium heat; mist with cooking spray. Add chicken and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add bell peppers and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in salsa; cook for 2 minutes. Add cream cheese; cook, stirring constantly, until melted and blended, about 2 minutes. Stir in beans and tomato.

2. Spoon 1/3 of chicken mixture into an 8-inch square (I used 11 x 7 pan) baking dish. Cover with 1 tortilla, then spoon in 1/2 of the remaining chicken mixture and 1/2 of cheese. Top with remaining tortilla and chicken mixture. (I layered chicken/tortilla/cheese two times.)

3. Cover and bake until heated through, about 20 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, until cheese has melted, about 5 minutes longer. Serve hot. (I put cheese on right away and just took the foil off for the last 5 minutes.)

No comments:

Post a Comment