My kids helped me make these Black Cat Cookies over the weekend. I got the recipe from a Land O' Lakes email, but there are similar recipes on many sites.
1 cup butter, softened
1 T. vanilla
3 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp, salt
red cinnamon candies (I didn't have any, so we used peanuts and chocolate stars)
1. Combine sugar and butter in large bowl; beat at medium speed until well mixed. Add 1 egg at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla; beat until well mixed.
2. Combine all remaining ingredients except candies in medium bowl. Reduce speed to low; add flour mixture to butter mixture. Beat until well mixed.
3. Divide dough in half. Shape each half into a ball; flatten to 1/2 inch. Wrap each half in plastic food wrap. Refrigerate until firm (at least 2 hours--I did ours overnight).
4. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Roll out dough on lightly floured surface, one-half at a time (keeping remaining dough refrigerated), to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut with 3-inch round cookie cutters. Place onto ungreased cookie sheets.
5. Using fingers, pinch up ears at top of each circle. Place 2 pieces candy corn onto cookies for eyes and 1 red cinnamon candy for nose. Press tines of fork on each side of cookie below eyes to form whiskers.
6. Bake for 7 to 9 minutes or until cookies are set. Let cool 1 minutes on cookie sheet; remove to wire cooling rack.