Monday, June 14, 2010

Chicken Curry

From Family Fun magazine, September 2006. This was a completely new recipe with flavors we haven't tried before (coconut milk, curry). I left the chicken and rice plain for the kids as I knew they wouldn't eat it with the sauce. Overall, I liked it, but it isn't a family favorite.

1 1/2 T. vegetable oil
1 medium onion, thinly slice (I left the onion out)
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. curry powder
1 can (12-14 oz.) unsweetened coconut milk
1 cup canned diced tomatoes (I used a whole can)
2 T. tomato paste
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes (I used a 20 oz. package)3 cups packed fresh baby spinach

In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and the salt. Cook until softened, about 7 minutes, stirring often. Add the curry powder and cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute.
Stir in the coconut milk, tomatoes, and tomato paste. Cook for 5 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.Add the chicken, stir well, and cook 5 to 6 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Stir in the spinach and cook for 3 minutes or until wilted, stirring occasionally. Season to taste with salt. Serve over rice.

I cooked the chicken first. I removed it from the pan, added the coconut milk, tomatoes, tomato paste and curry powder, cooking until thickened. I added the chicken back along with the spinach for about 3 minutes, then served over rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment