Monday, September 6, 2010

Freezer Jam

This summer, I made freezer jam for the first time ever. I had raspberries from my mom and blueberries that I bought by the case, and I added a few strawberries at the end to get just the right amount of fruit. I followed the directions from the Sure Jell package. It was so easy, I'm not sure why I had never tried it before!

I'm not always sure if it's cost effective to make my own versus buying a product, so I broke down the cost of making this batch of jam:

I used Polaner All Fruit jars I had saved=FREE
Sugar was on sale for $0.69 when you bought 2 Sure Jells. I used about $0.25 of sugar
Sure Jell was $1.69 each; I used a coupon for $1 off 2, making each package $1.19
The raspberries were free from my mom.
The blueberries small amount of strawberries were about $2.
So for $3.44 I got 8+ jars of jam, or $0.43 per jar. And I know exactly what's in it (no high fructose corn syrup!) Not bad!

No comments:

Post a Comment