Monday, February 1, 2010

Chicken Dinner

This recipe came from my mom.

Original recipe:
Filling--Cook 4 1/2 pound chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
Thicken 4 T. butter, 4 T. flour and 2 1/2 cups broth. Add 1/4 tsp. each of salt, pepper, onion salt and celery seed.
Cook together 1 1/2 cups peas and 1 1/2 cups carrots.
Stir chicken and peas and carrots into broth mixture. Pour into 9 x 13 pan.

Crust--
2 1/2 cups flour
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/4 tsp. salt
2/3 cup shortening
1 1/4 tsp. paprika
2 1/2 tsp. minced parsley
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
Mix dry ingredients. Add egg and milk. Mix together and roll out. Cut into biscuits and put on top of chicken mixture. Bake for 20 minutes at 450 degrees.

My adjustments:
I usually use leftover chicken; I don't cook chicken just to make this. I don't usually add celery seed to the broth mixture, and I don't put paprika or parsley in the biscuits. I have used frozen peas and carrots as well as frozen mixed vegetables.
For the biscuit mixture, any recipe should work. You could even use canned biscuits. To save time, I usually cut my biscuits into squares rather than circles.

This is comfort food at its finest!

No comments:

Post a Comment