Friday, May 6, 2011

From the Grocery List to the Dinner Table

To get the most out of my money when grocery shopping, I do my best to look through the weekly ad for the best sales, and also match sale items with coupons. My best deals can be found here. This is what I can do with what I bought this week:
Produce
Apples, oranges ($0.77/lb.), bananas, strawberries ($1.66), cantaloupe ($0.77/lb.), broccoli/cauliflower heads, carrots, green peppers (2/$0.97), mushrooms ($0.77), grape tomatoes ($1.97), avocados ($1.17 each), cucumber, potatoes.
I almost always buy (or have on hand) apples, bananas, potatoes and carrots. I bought the broccoli/cauliflower and cucumber to add to salads. Everything else was a sale item. The fruit we'll eat as snacks or with a meal. The green peppers and mushrooms will get added to a meal, tomatoes we'll snack on or eat in salad, and the avocadoes can go with Cinco de Mayo nachos, or on turkey burgers.
Meat
My biggest expenditure in the meat department was a 5 pound package of hamburger for $14.88. I'll used it for BBQ meatballs, taco meat for nachos, and the rest will be frozen in 1 pound packages for future meals.
I also bought a large package of drumsticks ($3.94 after coupon) for Parmesan Drumsticks, 3 pound package of Johnsonville brats ($6.72 after coupon) and two packages of Ball Park hot dogs ($1.95 each after coupon).
Dairy
I almost always buy milk, eggs, and butter when I go grocery shopping. I'm not brand loyal most of the time, so I buy whatever brand of cottage cheese, cheese, sour cream, non-dairy creamer, and orange juice is on sale each week. This week I also bought store brand Parmesan cheese, whole wheat tortillas, Frigo string cheese, 1st National bagels.
Frozen
I bought McCain sweet potato fries for $1.99, Eggo waffles ($1.62 each after coupon), Super Hero popsicles for $2.49, DiGiorno's new pizza combos (Pizza and Wyngz--their spelling, and Pizza and Cookies) for $4.70 each after coupons, and two bags of store brand frozen veggies for $0.99 each.
Bakery
I bought two loaves of bread for $2.49 each, store brand hot dog buns for $1.55, Ball Park hot dog buns for $1.44 after coupon. One package of buns went in the freezer for a later time.
Snacks and treats
Toasteds crackers for $1.19 after coupons, store brand saltines and graham crackers, Blue Diamond almonds for $2.13 each after coupon, Planters trail mix 2/$3 on sale. Oreo Fudgees were $1.99 after coupon.
Breakfast
Kellogg's cereal for $1.64 each after coupon. Most days the kids eat cereal for breakfast. Sometimes they'll have toast or a bagel, and we'll have pancakes, eggs, oatmeal, or other options on the weekend.
To add to pantry stock
Store brand peanut butter, Duncan Hines brownie mix for $0.49 after coupon, Duncan Hines frosting 2/$3 and used coupon for free cake mix when you buy 2 frostings (we have two birthdays coming up in the next month), Pillsbury cake mix ($0.77), taco shells, Kool Aid, Hunt's Ketchup ($0.99, and has no high fructose corn syrup), flour salsa, apple sauce, ramen noodles, canned pineapple ($0.93 after coupon), chocolate chips
Specifically for school lunches
Juice boxes, deli ham, chips ($1.49-$1.99 per bag after coupons)
Other
Nestle Crunch/Baby Ruth candy bars were on $0.19 after coupon, Sierra Mist was free when I bought 2 bags of Sun Chips, Old El Paso taco seasoning was free when I bought 2 Old El Paso products, Royal Oak charcoal for $3.99
Splurges
Whole bean coffee, Pull Ups, lotion

No comments:

Post a Comment