Monday, February 21, 2011

Braised Red Cabbage

This recipe came for DrWeil's website. I had a half of a head of red cabbage to use, so I halved the recipe.

Ingredients

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 large yellow onion, chopped
2 large carrots, peeled and sliced
1 large head red cabbage, cored and sliced 1/4-inch thick
1 large green apple, peeled, cored, and diced
3 large cloves garlic, pressed
1 bay leaf (I did not use a bay leaf)
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves (I did not use cloves)
1 1/2 cups dry red wine (I used apple juice instead of wine)
1/4 cup red wine vinegar (I used regular vinegar)
2 tablespoons light-brown sugar
1 cup peeled chestnuts (optional) (I did not use chestnuts)
Salt to taste

Instructions

1. In a large pot, heat the olive oil. Add the onion and carrots and sauté over medium heat until onion is translucent.

2. Add the cabbage and apple and mix well, then add salt to taste, the garlic, the bay leaf, cloves, wine, vinegar and sugar.

3. Bring to a low boil, cover, and cook for about 1 hour.

4. Remove bay leaf and correct seasoning to taste. You may also add the peeled chestnuts to cook in the braising liquid.

No comments:

Post a Comment